Search This Blog

Friday, August 14, 2009

Everytime a Cowbell Rings, an Angel Gets Her Wings


In all the preparation and training I've had for this job, I was never prepared to cry when leaving a chapter. However, my exit from MS Gamma today was tear-filled and heartfelt. I really have a love for that new chapter and the women in, not to mention their alumni advisors. When an AAC member took a terrible fall last while setting up for today's parties, the entire chapter took a pause from voting, stood together (holding hands) and lifted up an angel prayer for Angie's recovery...this is why I'm a Pi Beta Phi. The love I have for this fraternity has grown tenfold already. It is moments like that when the late nights are worth it. Although I haven't slept much in the last week, I have seen a brand new chapter produce impressive return rates and recruit some amazing new women! The dedication and passion was so fresh and energizing. It was such a pleasure to work with the officers and AAC members of MS Gamma, and my visit to Starkville will not be forgotten. I can't wait to make a trip down to see their new house next fall, and everytime I look at my little MSU cowbell*, I'll remember this visit with a smile!

* At Mississippi State football games, students ring cowbells constantly for their Bulldogs! Rumor has it that years ago, at this agriculture school, a cow wandered on to the field, and to get it off the field, a fan rung a cowbell...hence the tradition was born!

One of my suitcases fell apart this morning and had to be replaced impromtu....but as LDC Kylie often reminds me, "just roll with it!" That is certainly something this job is instilling in me already! For you Pi Phis out there, we refer to that quality as, "whatsoever things are flexible!"

Love to all...off to the land of the sooners (hope my future fam-in-law isn't too upset, hehe!) o:-)

1 comment:

  1. *Correction of rumor.* At a Miss. State vs. Ole Miss football game. Miss. State was terribly losing and a cow wandered onto the field and it had a bell around it's neck. They finally got it off the field and after that point, Miss. State came back to beat Ole Miss. The cowbell was then adopted as a sign of good luck since we can't really have cows walking around our stadium. But that is the true story. Haha

    ReplyDelete